What is a Sewer Clog?
A sewer clog is any type of obstruction in a sewer line. Obstruction occurs when material, such as grease, paper towels, or other materials, builds up inside the sewer line and restricts water from flowing through it properly.
People often clog their own sewer lines by disposing of items down the drain that do not break down easily and that causes an obstruction.
You may have a sewer clog if you notice the following:
- Gurgling sounds coming from the drain in the tub, sinks, or toilets
- An unpleasant smell near your drains
- Backup in the drain of your toilet, sink, or drains
- Uncommon floor drain water levels
- High water in the basement floor drain
What can cause sewer line clogs?
The main causes of sewer clogs are:
- Tree Roots – the tree roots can enter the sewer line through openings and block sewage flow to the municipal sewer. Here in the Chicago land area there are many sewers built of clay. Most of those sewers were built in 2-4 foot pieces. Where these pieces meet, is the place usually where the roots enter your sewer system. Tree roots can wrap around the sewage pipe creating cracks and breaks on the line. By breaking the sewer line the flow of sewage is stopped.
- Broken sewer line – A sewer line that is cracked and collapsed can obstruct sewage to flow through into the sewage system. The sewage will build up until eventually, it is backing up into your home drains.
- Grease buildup in the sewer line – Grease often solidifies inside of a pipe, and when it hardens and cools, can form clogs that stop water from flowing through the pipes. If grease sits in one place too long, it starts to build up because fats and oils don’t combine with other things very easily
We can help!
Sewer clogs can happen unexpectedly and at all of the wrong times. When your sewer clogs, you may experience sewage water on your floor and oozing from your drains.
In some cases, sewage water can penetrate your basement and cause damage that a special hazard mitigation company would have to treat to ensure proper cleaning. Rescue Plumbing is confident that we can help you in any of these situations in a fast and efficient way. We can solve any sewer clog.
Always to the Rescue
Sewer clogs are a common plumbing problem that can happen at any time, and they often require professional assistance to resolve! If your pipes do get clogged, contact us today by calling (773) 799-8848. We’re ready 24/7 to take on sewer line unclogging jobs in homes throughout Chicago!
Give us a call Monday through Friday between 9 am and 5 pm for a free estimate. We are also available for emergency night calls when you find yourself in dire help at the most unexpected time. We will come to your Rescue!
What is your Plumbing Problem?
Why Choose Rescue Plumbing
Why choose Rescue Plumbing? Because we are the best!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Check Out Our Most Recent Sewer Repair Blog Post
We are always sharing the work we do in local communities!